Overheating problems

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Overheating problems
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 17:09:48 -0700 (PDT)
I am just about out of ideas.  The car runs well but still overheats,
more so on high speed drives (freeway @70 or so).  I've pulled the head
twice in the past two weeks and had it machined.  They took off .004"
and my head thickness is 3.240" (yes, that's correct).

I am not getting excessive bubbling in my coolant this time thankfully.
 The car just creeps up in temp until it hits around 210, WAY too high.
 I bought a new 180 thermostat, then removed it and ran with no
thermostat.  It overheats both ways.

My last thought is to ditch the electric fan and stick my seven blade
fan back on there.  I don't have the spacer for the fan and threw away
my fan clutch (was destroyed anyway) so will hit a machine shop and see
if they can build me something quickly.

Any thoughts on what else would cause it to overheat???  The timing is
set right and I just adjusted the valves this morning.  It doesn't seem
to be running too lean.  Before installing the electric fan and
replacing the water pump it didn't overheat (but the water pump
leaked).  Ideas???

=====
Adam
'70 1600 SPL311-28181