Re: Alternator wiring revisited

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator wiring revisited
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 19:01:24 -0500 (CDT)
Yes, this sounds right.

One thing that you will find and think it is wrong is when you start
the engine and look at the ammeter you will find that it is showing
a discharge.  This is correct.  By wiring the alternator directly to
the battery you bypassed the ammeter, so its readings will be worthless
to determining if the alternator is putting out anything.  Since you
added a 30 Amp fuse between the alternator and the battery it would be
possible to reroute that wire to go to the large white wire that you
removed from the alternator, rather than directly to the battery.  This
would make the ammeter show sharge/discharge conditions correctly.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner