Re: Mt Shasta / invite to join All-Datsun fun run

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Mt Shasta / invite to join All-Datsun fun run
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 16:54:13 -0700
No. There is always some confusion because the Brits also had an "A" series
engine (used in Sprites, Midgets, Minis, etc.). But that engine is completely
different. The BMC "A" series engine is very similar to the BMC "B" series
engine as used in the MGA, MGB, etc.. Both have 5 port heads and Weslake
combustion chambers. Both have cast iron heads and blocks. The BMC "A" series
ran up to 1275 cc's (known as the 1300 in later years) and the "B" series ran up
to 1800 cc's. According to long-time "A" series campaigner Rob Walker, the
Datsun "A" series line seems to be a copy of a Ford short block combined with a
variant on a Spitfire head. But no Brit pushrod engine I ever worked on would
turn the sort of reliable revs the Datsun A12 will. And the engines and trannies
are lots lighter than any Brit iron I ever worked on too.

It seems lots of folks with Sprites and Midgets are campaigning with a tranny
from the Datsun "A" series powered cars though. Apparently a company makes an
adapter to bolt that Datsun 5 spd tranny to the BMC "A" series engine.