Database Update #2

To: "Roadster Mail List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Database Update #2
From: "Matt Silvey" <matt12@rcip.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:01:18 -0700
Well, in trying to figure out how to make my database work for everyone out
there, I have checked into a few of the options out there.

>From Microsoft:  I was also unable to find a read only verion of MS Access.
I did download the "Snapshot Viewer" for Microsoft Access but that doesn't
work.  I was unable to open any portion of the database.

>From Sun Microsystems:  I downloaded and installed Staroffice 5.2  It was
also unable to open the database properly.  It did allow me to open the
tables within the database but none of the reports were there nor were the
forms from which I enter info , print reports and generally operate the
database.

To answer a couple of other questions I received regarding the database:

The database is not merely a combination of tables.  There are forms from
which data is input and then distributed to more than one table.  It also
uses queries, macros and some limited visual basic to combine, add, etc. the
data within the tables to put that data onto the reports that the system
generates.  I wish I could set it up simpler, but I have yet been able to
figure out how.

As for exporting it or converting it to some other format, Microsoft (being
Microsoft) does not allow you to export the entire database.  The only thing
it will allow you to do is to save the database in an earlier version of
Access.

I did some research on Microsoft's website and found that they do offer a
solution that might work.  They sell Microsoft Office 2000 Developer's Tool
Kit.  This supposedly has a "runtime" version of MS Access for developers
that they can make part of their database.  This "runtime" portion then
allows the database to be distributed to anyone on a PC, whether or not they
have Access, and allows them to fully use that database.  As always, there
is a downside to this solution:  Microsoft wants $400 just for the
Developer's Tool Kit.  I am currently trying to get a copy installed on my
computer at work (as I do use Access quite a bit there and it would be very
usefull for a couple of the databases that I use) but I have not heard back
whether or not my company has the program.

If anyone else out there, for some reason, has that program or has access to
that program, they also might be able to convert the database to the runtime
version.  If anyone does, please let me know.

If I am able to get my hands on that program and can get the database so
that it will function independently, I will let you all know and will post
it on my website.

Sorry for all the confusion regarding this.

Matt
70 1600