Re: Restoration Database

To: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>,
Subject: Re: Restoration Database
From: Ken Spurling <skippers@clipper.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:09:19 -0700
Hey
         You can download a free Microsoft read-only version of Access from
MS' download page.
         When you run into your "Open With" dialogue box (interesting tag),
that is your chance to point all files with the same three character
extension to an appropriate application. It is safer to clear the checkbox
that asks if you will always want that application to open [when you double
click on all filenames that have the same extension] in order to double
check that you have selected the right application. When everything works
hunky, just close the application and double click on it again. When the
"Opens with ..." dialogue pops up again, check the option box and reselect
the appropriate application. With the checkbox filled, the application-file
extension correlation will be written into your registry or win.ini or
whatever.
         If you mis-select the app with the checkbox filled, you can figure
out how to change it. I don't have the time.
         The best way to take care of this problem is to go to Sun.com and
download StarOffice 5.2 for free. You can read-write MS compatible files
for all the applications in MS Office. If you create something on your own,
using the capabilities of StarOffice, you will see just how silly MS
software is.

See you when you get to FreeBSD!

Ken Spurling
68 1.6 L