Cam tower shims?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Cam tower shims?
From: "Ken Pearce" <ken__pearce@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:57:02 -0500
Well, after a successful move from Vancouver BC to Bellingham WA, my
roadster is back on the road!  When doing the motor rebuild last winter, I
forgot one huge thing to check, head thickness!  Now it sounds like I might
need to shim the cam towers (very occasional death rattle).  The rattle is
only audible when the car is cold and has been sitting over night.

Questions:

What's the degree of difficulty of installing shims?

How much do they cost?

Do I have to remove the head to get an exact measurement of the thickness in
order to determine what size shims I need?

Do I have other options, like putting shim/washers on the tensioners?

Right now I don't have the oil filter "anti-flow-back-tube" installed.
Could it be that if I installed this tube that the oil would stay in the
upper reaches of the engine and cure my problem?  (Somebody please say
"yes"!)

All the timing components are new within the past year so I'm not that
concerned about the chain breaking.  I just can't stand to hear that noise,
even for a few seconds...

OFF TOPIC, if anyone likes boats, check out my new home here in Bellingham
WA.  I just got the keys today and will be moving aboard over the next 6
months.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1644262&a=12583319&f=0&sp=0

There's a few roadster photos taken on Chuckanut Drive, about 2 miles from
my house in Fairhaven.

Cheers!

Ken Pearce, 68-2000
Bellingham WA