Re: Solex heat shield

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solex heat shield
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:36:25 -0500
>Nissan part # is 14330-25500 Solex heatshield.
>Sure glad you sent this out. i had just put mine on last w/e and had
>forgotten about the new heatshield i had ordered.
>Just put it on, best i can tell it goes on the two inward lower carb studs,
>on the outside of carbs.

Since there's been discussion of heat shields and air boxes in the past,
I thought I'd pass along the following URL from the Neely Motorsports
site:

http://www.raceneely.com/project.html

Scroll down past the GT car to the vintage 510 and take a look at the
very trick, IMHO, way they isolated the carb inlets from the hot
underhood air. I'm pretty sure they used a heat shield under the carb
bodies, too. I'd guess they use rubber or neoprene sheeting to create a
flexible connection between the sheet metal attached to the carbs and
that attached to the inner fender. I also like the way they set up the
filter so that while all air gets filtered, the filtering shouldn't
interfere with metering.

The whole car is a study in the right way to put one together. I'd say a
lot of the ideas are applicable to comp oriented roadsters, too.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)