Re: FW: 1968 Roadster for Sale

To: "snyler" <marc@animalfirm.com>,
Subject: Re: FW: 1968 Roadster for Sale
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:16:56 -0500
>Well Corvettes do tend to finish in the higher numbers in autox than
>roadsters  ;-)

You are implying that the 'vette would be slower in most autocrosses, not
that they'd be higher in the finishing order, right? ;>)

Sea Story follows - (delete if you want)

The last six months or so we lived in Hawaii (early '75), the Corvette
club started coming out for many of the autocrosses. For the most part, a
very friendly group, there was one character who drove a '66 L-88 (427
big block) powered roadster who was constantly complaining about our
"modified 510 running racing tires." Honestly, by that time the 510 was
pretty well set up, with Z valves, Norris cam, slight porting, larger
exhaust with removable muffler. It was lowered, had big sway bars, Konis
and 20 x 8 x 13 Goodyear slicks, and we were both pretty quick.

Over the next couple of months the guy with the 'vette refused to take
his foot out of the carburetor while loudly  gripping and complaining
about the unfair advantage our slicks gave us. Then he bought a set,
which let him generate more tire smoke when he stood on the gas but
didn't change our finishing order. Finally, adding insult to injury,
Elayne took this guy's wife out and gave her a few autocrossing pointers.
She immediately and repeatedly was much quicker that Mr. Lead Foot, in
his car.

True story, really.

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)