Proper Installation of Venolia Forged Pistons.

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Proper Installation of Venolia Forged Pistons.
From: Pamela Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 15:41:13 -0700
Greetings,
I am in the process of assembling the 1600 stroker.  The engine has
Venolia forged (flat top) pistons.  We are at a dead stop.  Don't  know
which side of the piston goes to the front of the engine. The stock
Datsun pistons have a stamp on the top of the piston to indicate the
front.  The Venolia pistons have no mark on the top.  Looking inside the
piston the word "Alcoa"  is offset under the wrist pin.  This could
indicate front or rear. Don't know which.  I have a 50/50 chance of
installing the pistons backwards.  The piston's skirt is thicker on one
side than the other.  The Venolia name is stamped on the thick side.
The casting number is located on the opposit side that has the thinner
skirt.   Does anyone know the proper orientation for the Venolia
pistons?  Help.  No instructions in the old box.  Venolia has gone out
of business a while back.  No guesses please.
This is a make or explode decision on the rebuild.
As alway, Many thanks.
Guy
Tempe, Arizona