RE: vacuum advance

Subject: RE: vacuum advance
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:49:32 -0400
Only other thing to note is that if you have the smog distributor, you can
rebuild it with the proper 7.5 degree distributor cam.  Several places used
to sell the "distributor recurve" kits to do this.  If these aren't
available anymore due the extreme environmental catastrophe that their use
invites, I would think that you could weld and recut the slots in the cam's
base plate to alter the total amount of mechanical advance.  I don't
remember as I recurved my dist. years ago - do the two versions use
different weights and springs?  I think I remember replacing the springs but
I don't remember if that was necessary or just a good idea.
Fairlady sells an electronic distributor also.  Anyone got any experience
with that?
Brian

A smog distributor is 15 degrees cam, 30 degrees crank. 30-30=0.
Yup: smog cars get set 0 BTDC which is why off-the-line performance
sucks, errr, I mean, is poor. Give it a few degrees advance and it'll
run MUCH better. It'll also melt a piston pulling a hill :-(.

p.s. When you take apart the distributor, the advance plate will
have either a 7.5 or a 15 stamped on it. Now you know what that
number means!