next time, I go electric!

To: "Autox" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: next time, I go electric!
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:31:39 -0800
Ever get the feeling your life is a movie? Today, I thought I was in The
Good, The Bad and the Ugly. Remember that scene from the movie where Clint
Eastwood takes apart several guns to get the parts for the one he wants? Now
think roadster fuel pumps.

Before I installed the new pump, I saw that the top cover had the 'in' and
'out' arrows pointing at the wrong connections. since the pump was laid out
exactly the same as the old one, I figured the top was on wrong.

Wrong!

This pump took fuel in the wrong way. I found this out when I got everything
back together, pulled the coil wire and had Pam crank quickly a few times to
see if I could hear any strange noises. Hearing none, I stuck the inlet hose
into a jar of gas and we turned it over. The pump started blowing bubbles!

I tried to line up the 'out' side of the pump properly, but could I could
not. The one-way valves inside the pump only go in--you guessed it--one way.
I couldn't just flip the in side for the out side. I ended up using the
bottom half of the new pump with it's new pivot shaft and follower and mated
it to the old upper half with it's valves and fittings oriented correctly.
Whew again!

If I don't see a pool of gas under the car tomorrow morning, Pam and I are
taking that drive up the coast!

Posted pics at Photopoint of the pump differences.

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=881168&a=6499541&f=0