for want of a spring...

To: "Autox" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: for want of a spring...
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:44:18 -0800
When the fuel pump blew last week, I didn't really take a close look at it
until I got the new one. On close inspection, I noticed that a return spring
is used push the follower arm back down after the cam pushes it up. Well,
when the follower arm cracked, it let the spring loose. Guess where it went?

If you guessed the oil pan, you get a cookie. I went looking for a fish tool
with a magnet on the end. For three hours today I looked a every car parts
place and hardware store I could find in the area. No luck.

I even ordered a new oil pan gasket in preparation to drop the pan to find
that stupid spring. In desperation, I bought a $2.00 pack of magnets and
taped one of them to the end of a piece of 12 gauge solid copper wire and
went fishin through the oil drain hole. After about ten minutes I caught it
and dragged the little sucker out! Whew!

Now for the techie stuff:

I have to figure out if I need the spacer that I had shipped with the fuel
pump. Any help here on fuel pump flange thickness would be appreciated. I
know certain models of the pump do not need the spacer, but which one? The
new pump looks exactly like the old one and the old one had no spacer. The
follower arm cracked, so maybe it needed a spacer and was left off at the
last rebuild. I am not sure two gaskets, the spacer and the pump flange will
leave enough stud sticking out to put the securing nuts on all the way. Any
suggestions?

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600