dual master (was: 1600 Model Year)

To: jon_wissler@pngc.com
Subject: dual master (was: 1600 Model Year)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:03:35 -0800
It was asked:
>         So how big an advantage is the dual circuit versus single brake
> master cylinder between the 66 and 67.5 1600's?

Well, if something goes wrong would you like to have poor brakes
or NO brakes?

If the master cylinder goes bad you're SOL no matter what. But if a
cylinder leaks and drains the fluid from one circuit, you still have
stopping power. I had a crossover tube go bad (infamous corrosion
under the plastic sleeve) and lost my front brakes. Pulling up to a red
light I suddenly had a definite mush to the brakes, but at least I stopped!

Certainly not foolproof, but a dual master does add a little extra margin.

-- John