windshield weatherstrip / old glass properties / 'new' 1600

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: windshield weatherstrip / old glass properties / 'new' 1600
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:04:41 -0800
Sid, (and all)
maybe I should leave this for someone who is more familiar with
installation,(too late) but is the rubber weatherstrip molded to the
windshield shape, or does it come in a coil and you are expected to cut to
size/length and miter the ends?  The reason I ask is this:  if it was molded
into a rectangular shape, then rubber has a memory.  Lay it out on a hot
driveway in the sun, weighted down with 2x4's or bricks (enough to keep in
place without crushing) and in a couple of hours, it should be back to
shape.
Glass ages?  That is a new one on me.  Mat'ls added to tempering process
cause this?  I know that window pane glass is technically a liquid of just
very high viscosity, (old homes have wavy looking windows for this reason,
they are thicker at the bottom after all the years) but age hardening?
Congratulations Annette!  Having just past my first year of Roadster
ownership anniversary, I'd have to say it was one of the best things I did,
as far as smiles per mile, and a supportive, knowledgeable, and humorous
group of interested owners.  (and I still don't even know if I can drive it
with a top on it, but I do know wearing a wooly hat and safety glasses and
laughing uncontrollably while driving topless in the rain ain't so bad!)
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA