Re: reply: rear comp spring trick?

To: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Subject: Re: reply: rear comp spring trick?
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 10:20:26 -0800
Well, since you asked...

That trick with the leaf springs sounds like a pretty clever idea to me. The
load that
bends a leaf spring has to overcome not only the designed-in stiffness of the
material,
but also the friction between the leaves. As static friction is, in nearly all
cases,
higher than kinetic friction (teflon being a notable exception), there is a
momentary
"stiction" as the sliding action at the leaf-leaf interface transitions from
the higher
initial friction value to the lower friction regime as the relative velocity of
the two
leaves increases. Greasing the leaves (and protecting them from contamination
w/the tape)
seems like it would do just as this old-time hot rodder said - allow the leaves
to work
more easily against each other, yielding a smoother suspension feel..

It's worth protecting leaf springs from dirt and grit in any case, to reduce
wear. I have
seen ads in "Classic & Sportscar", an excellent British classic car magazine
that I read
every month, for boots (made of leather, as I recall) that fit over leaf
springs for
protection against the elements. Something a bit more flexible and more "high
tech", such
as a rubber or neoprene-type material might work even better than a leather
boot or
electrical tape. There's a great spring refurb service idea here - recurve,
lubricate and
dip in a curing rubber to coat and protect the leaf group and keep the
lubricant in, dirt
out!

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA