Re: Miata seats

To: Mike Faggart <mikef@carolina.rr.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miata seats
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:23:59 -0800 (PST)
The Miata seats I bought had a secondary mount to the transmission
tunnel.  There was a long black plastic slat (is that the right word?)
that I believe stayed stationary on the transmission tunnel as the seat
moved forward and backward.  The slat rides inside a piece that is
mounted to the seat by a large bolt and small screw.

I completely removed this from the seats before mounting, as well as
the seat belt attachment.  It leaves a small hole in the side of the
seat that isn't easily visible as the transmission tunnel masks it.

In addition to the transmission tunnel, the seats mount to the floor
with four bolts.  There is also a single spike on the floor tracks near
the front bolt hole.  I cut the spikes off with a Dremel tool, then
bent the front bolt hole flat as it is at about a 45 degree angle.

I don't know what the recommended bolt size is for the seats but I used
1/2" diameter fine thread bolts (3/4" heads).  Much larger diameter
than the studs built into the stock seats.  Seemed to work well.  Of
course the holes don't line up with the stock floorboard holes so I had
to drill three new holes (and enlarge one hole, oddly not the
equivelant hole on each side).

I definitely ride an inch or so taller in the car but the look and feel
of the seats is worth it.  For those who want customized seats, I spoke
with the "Crazy Red Italian" who says he can make up the leather
replacement seat covers for the Miata seats with any embroidered image
we want (starting at $595 - ouch).  He also sells upgraded made-to-fit
speakers for the headrests for $139.

Adam
'70 1600 w/black cloth '95 Miata seats

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/