Re: Adhesive info.

To: "Steve Harvey" <stevenh@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Adhesive info.
From: "Thomas J." <tomph@ispchannel.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:20:14 -0500
Hi Ya Steve,

Long time - no talk - hope all is well.

<snip>
>One of the trunk hinges has separated from the trunk at the spot
>weld. If we re-weld it back together the paint will of course be
>damaged. Is there any adhesive that would bond the to metals together?
>Any info. appreciated.

There is a product called FUSOR. It's a two part epoxy like product that is
expensive but is made to bond metal to metal. It's real strong and will not
pull apart - or so I'm told. I have used it in the body sheet metal repair
class I'm going to now and it works really well for installing body panels
and patches and provides great strength againt shearing. Metal must be clean
with no rust or resisdue. The instructor said they bonded two pieces of
sheet metal and then tried to pull them apart with the frame machine capable
of 10 tons of pulling force. The sheet metal tore before the bond broke. Not
sure how it would work on a hinge as that probably applies a different type
of force (more of a peeling force) and it's very localized.

Good Luck
Tom