Re: tranny rear seal tricks / details

To: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Subject: Re: tranny rear seal tricks / details
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:35:58 -0500
Fergus,

Use a torque wrench when reinstalling and plenty o'antiseize. Also get a
spare cotter pin as it's quite large and wasn't in any cotter pin set I
have. It's a 27mm nut.

While you may be able to get the nut off w/o an impact gun the hardest thing
is to keep the shaft from spinning while applying torque, with an impact gun
that's not a problem. Trust me. Same is true for replacing the pinion seal
and removing the nut. Trust me.

BTW, Check your ujoints while the shaft is off as they go bad and you may
want to replace those while the shaft is off just as a matter of
maintainence and piece of mind. REMEMBER to mark the
position/relationship of the components. Replacing the ujoints ain't fun and
unless you have a large vice may be almost impossible after 30 years of
rust. I suggest to bring it to a shop and have them do it unless you have
access to a press. I broke my butt for several hours, but then I'm stubborn.

Mike