Roadster coatings

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Roadster coatings
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:05:25 -0600
Hey listers -  The high cost of chrome plating started thinking of an
alternative.

I have been working on getting the space program to use a coating that is
corrosion resistant and even looks good.  We now use it on SRB
"wash-dry-fly" parts.  The military has been using it for years, but the
space people are more cautious - read need much more testing.  The coating
is IVD-Aluminum.  Ion Vapor Deposition of pure aluminum.   This coating is
sacrificial so parts will not corrode if the coating is damaged.  It is very
corrosion resistant - we have samples of steel plates that have IVD with an
"X" scratched through the coating siting on the beach at the Cape for 8
years with absolutely no corrosion.  The coating has a bright aluminum look
- like a new bead blasted head.  In fact it is bead blasted after the
coating process.  Then it can be clear coated for a "deeper" look.

IVD is deposited on any metal part in a vacuum chamber buy vaporizing 99%
pure aluminum.  The parts are charged so the AL vapor is attracted.  This
coating has VERY GOOD adhesion and can stand high temperatures.  I had a set
of headers for a race car coated.  After one season the coating had turned a
little gray, but no corrosion.  And these headers went through hell getting
in the car - many scratches!

I plan on contacting the outfit that does the IVD and talk to him about
doing my custom Roadster suspension parts, windshield frame, brake parts,
and the like.  With chrome plating being so high, this may be a cheaper
alternative.  It is not as shiny as chrome, but better than powder coating.
They need a batch of parts at a time and the basket in the camber is about 3
feet by 12 feet.  I will post pictures of a part that has IVD when I find
one.  I gave most away to the project people during presentations on pushing
this process.

Let me know what you all think.  I will keep you updated after I talk to the
IVD folks.

Phil
SEROC