Re: More on miata vs.

To: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: More on miata vs.
From: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:50:56 -0500
Victor wrote:

>I believe that Mazda is also roadster nuts as well. They seem to have the
>proper spirit. Unlike other car production runs, where a great sports car is
>produced and subsequent models get bastardized down to "sporty" cars, the
>Miata has been becoming more of a sports car as it ages.
>
>I would be a proud Miata owner.

I agree totally with Victor.  Consider what Nissan did over time to the Z
car.  It went from a relatively inexpensive, super-fun, wonderfully
balanced "sports" car, to the bloated, heavy ZX series--complete with
digital this-and-that and plush interior.  Ughh!  The 300Z was supposedly
an attempt to return to the sport philosophy of the original 240Z, but they
missed the mark by more than a few thousand dollars.

If Nissan had held as true to the 240Z/miata philosophy as Mazda has over
the past 20 years, I don't think that it would be owned by the Italians at
this point.  Let's face it--Nissan's plight is a result of poor management
and bad decisions. Let us hope they have learned their lesson and the
upcoming 350Z will be closer to the 240Z/miata philosophy of fun,
mid-priced sports cars than the bloated and overpriced Z/ZX cars of
Nissan's not-too-distant past.

There's a reason I'm restoring a '78Z and not buying a newer sports car.

Alex Avery