Re: Speedometer question --- test w/ drill

To: mickth@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedometer question --- test w/ drill
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:14:28 EST
In a message dated 2/24/01 6:03:30 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
mickth@hotmail.com writes:

>   Today on the way to work, my 67.5 1600 speedometer started flaking out.
> It
> got real jumpy, then fell to the 0 MPH spot for a few miles. Then, it got
> jumpy again. Is this a symptom of needing the cable replaced? Or am I
> looking at a Speedometer repair/replacement? How do I go about
> troubleshooting this?

Do the early ones use the 90* angle drive at the tranny? Mine did the same -
turned out it was not the cable but the drive. It finally "left" the car -
going down the road.... clunk clunk clunk... peek in RV mirror - parts
scattering across the road.... stil need to get that fixed.

Easy cable test: disconnect at tranny side - stuff it into a drill... SPIN !
(carefullly - slowly !) (May wanna do this *after* you try to spin by hand &
seems ok).

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311