OT-Metal Cutting

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT-Metal Cutting
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:17:43 -0800 (PST)
Hello All,
        As Irene and I are getting more into metal work (custom tubular stain
less steel bumpers anyone??) I find that we need something better to make
reasonable precision cuts in metal.  Right now we use a hacksaw and 4" right
angle grinder with cutoff wheel and a tubing cutter.  We will be cutting round
and square tubing, plate steel and maybe some solid round/square rod.  Ususally
the metal will be less than 1/8" but sometimes 1/4" might be needed.
        Can a 'cheap' <200USD band saw do this type of work??  Does anybody
have any other idea of what Ican use to cut this type of metal??

        thanks,
                Daniel 69 2000

Oh, I know that you were all worried but I got the tubing bender bolted to the
garage floor just fine.  I used progressivly bigger carbide tipped masonary bits
to go up to the 3/4" final size.  To get thru the rock I just used an old dull
masonary bit and held it with a pair of needle nose vise grips and wacked it
with a hammer. Hammer drill-bah.  I used lag-bolts and it appears to be working
just fine.