new comp shocks - how high?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: new comp shocks - how high?
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:51:16 -0800 (PST)
I've finished installing the new Nissan comp shocks and the car hardly
seems any lower than before, if at all.  I measured an old spring and a
new spring side-by-side and the comp spring is about 1" shorter, but I
assume it may be a little different under load than the original.

The only piece left undone is the sway bar which sits on the floor in
my garage.  One of the larger bolts broke off when I tried to remove
it, so I'm going to need to drill it out.  Oh well, the comp sway bar
is on order anyway and should arrive in a few days...

So, how can I tell how high the front should be?  I've got 195/60/14
tires on the original rims and it seems there's about 3" from the top
of the tire to the fender lip, but since the tire isn't perfectly flat
on the top it's a rough estimate.

A better number is from the center of the hubcap to the bottom of the
fender lip.  That's about 14".  Any thoughts?