Re: engine swap option OT

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: engine swap option OT
From: "Nathan Ruffcorn" <nruff@famvid.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:19:31 -0600
Fergus-
The engine they are most likely referring too is the Buick 231 (3.8L).  It
is basically a GM V-8 minus the front two cylinders.  Buick pepped things up
with the turbo 3.8L installed in the Buick Grand Nationals and other
T-types.  If you haven't driven or ridden in one, it can be summarized in
two words-HOLD ON!.  I can't imagine what it would do in the lightweight
roadster!  Lots of aftermarket speed parts available and cheap but not a
drop-in swap.  Weight isn't too bad at 375 pounds (T-type weighs more I'm
sure) but I don't know if that is a "dressed" weight.
This site give more info.
http://www.gnttype.org/general/v6hist.html

If you like the 2L, definitely keep it!  If you want unfettered power and
torque, swap <g>.  Factor in that the cost and headache of a conversion is
always MUCH more than expected.
Enjoy,
Nathan