Re: Japan: Roadsters/Silvia for Sale

To: Taro Kusunose <tkusunose@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Japan: Roadsters/Silvia for Sale
From: The Dread Pirate Roberts <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:15:10 -0800
My dad was a California Highway Patrol officer from 1948 to 1968, back when
California
still had roadside inspections (surprise inspection lanes that they would set
up at random
places and times, pulling cars over for a mechanical inspection). One time when
working an
inspection lane, my dad was checking headlamps and a younger officer was doing
the brake
inspections. The younger guy called my dad over to take a look at the brake
"situation" in
an old Pontiac that they had flagged into the lane - when he had asked the
driver to push
the pedal so he could check the brakelights the guy said he couldn't. The other
officer
asked why, and looking into the driver's compartment he saw that there was no
brake pedal
- just a hole in the floor where it was supposed to be! The fellow had been
using the
parking handbrake to slow and stop the car. Needless to say, they told the guy
to park it,
and called a tow truck.

What's scary is that nowadays there is no state inspection for safety issues at
all in
California (some other states might still have them, I don't know) - just smog
inspections.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA