Re: Tearing my hair out!

To: sgam@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tearing my hair out!
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:03:03 EST
DOn't forget about the little things... this sure sounds like a typical
ignition problem.

 Did you remember to change the plugs?  THe idea of swapping the wires to see
if they're the problem too is a good idea. More  thoughts:

Take an ohmmeter to the wires, they should all read similar values (longer
ones a bit more) Wiggle them as you test, because:

Wires tend to get brittle on the INSIDE - if they;re not new, and you start
messing with them the core can "separate".  "Geee.. it was fine BEFORE the
tune up......" Check for that.

IF new wires: I recently got a wonderful set of Beldens for my 1600. However,
the dist end of the boots were so tight that they actually started to slide
off the dist cap. Pull the boots back- "click" the lead in,, THEN put the
boot back down over it.

Plugs... Once fouled (for whatever reason) some plugs will just not revive.
Try replacing them ( or just the suspect) ( cheap investment @ $1.39 and
spares don't hurt if it ins;t the problem)  remember also... plugs CAN be bad
outta the box. It's not terribly common, but after years in the parts/
service field I've seen it enough to be a possibility. (the ones in the
ORANGE <hint> boxes seemed to be the worst offenders) I like the NGK for the
Datsuns.

They may be silly little hints, but it sometimes we get so involved that the
basics slip by. Hope this helps !

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311