The LSD trial

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The LSD trial
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:13:01 -0800
All,

I got to drive our new 70 2000 solex car with 4.11 LSD pretty much all
weekend. I also got to drive it in conditions where the LSD shined and where
it did not.

Since we bought the car in Northern California, I had to drive the car down
the long miles of I-5. An endless straight line of about 250 miles. Because
of the gearing ratio, the car was at about 4500 rpms at about 73-75 mph. It
was loud and it was a bone-shaker (comp suspension and konis dialed all the
way hard)

However, when we got the car down to SoCal, I got to take the car through
some twisties and also got to try it against my 67 2000 Solex car (driven by
my girlfriend Liz) Off the line it was no contest. The gearing ratio of the
LSD against the ratio of my stock rear end in the 67 meant that off the line
the 70 2000 dropped my vaunted 67 like a bad habit. Amazing acceleration! In
the turns,when you hit the apex and drop a gear and hit the gas you are
almost flung out of the turn.

Top end though goes to the standard rear end. More RPMS available in fourth
and fifth gear. So for standard driving and longer freeway commutes I would
give the nod to the Standard rear end and for autocrossing and turn handling
I would give the nod to the LSD.

Guess it depends on how you drive.

My unsolicited evaluation,

Andrew Murphy