Large High Torque Nuts

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Large High Torque Nuts
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:46:52 -0600
I found another title for "dropped a spring into my engine".  One of the
replies got me to thinking of the book "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive"
by John Muir, circa 1970.  His Chapter XVI details many mechanics' tips
(read low buck) that don't require special tools.  One of them is how to
loosen high torque large nuts, such as the crank pully nut Andy had trouble
with.  John notes that you can take off the nut several times before it
needs replacing, and replaced the same way (large hammer and chisel).  John
also notes that if you put a pencil mark on the nut and the pulley, then
whack on the nut, put another pencil mark on the pulley, etc., when the two
pencil marks stay aligned, the torque will be 220 ft. lbs.  The whole book
is a common sense and non-traditional approach to car maintenance.  I found
the Volkswagen book at a half price bookstore, but I think they are
available elsewhere, in newer printings.  I have to wear tye-died shirts and
a headband when I read the book, so I can translate John's instructions into
Standard English.  (Many of you don't know what "hippie" is, let alone speak
it.)

Andy is building an autocrosser that he hopes will beat my "Gray Ghost", and
that's why he has the engine on a stand.  I have been giving him lots of
advice on how to make his car faster, but he tends to distrust my
intentions.  Adding lead weights to the trunk to achieve 50/50 weight
distribution, for example.  Or replacing those pesky Solexes with two
dependable Holly 850 double-pumpers.  Maybe some of you can give him some
"unbiased" advice.

Leisure Suit Terry