Re: Update on LancasterCA 1966 1600

To: kelson@fedka.ociw.edu
Subject: Re: Update on LancasterCA 1966 1600
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 06:58:04 PST
Dan,

The car seems to have a lot going for it. Straight body, decent paint and no
rust speaks highly for the car. What you have listed as "problems" don't
seem to be very significant. These cars always need a little work after they
have been sitting for a while and yours sounds like it is pretty much ready
to go, so here is my two cents.

Your shift boot is going to run you about 12-15 dollars. Big deal. Your
electronics problems may be fuse related, but I am thinking relay instead.
There are ways to check for this and some of the techie guys on the list can
help you out with that.

If you pay to have your tune up done, figure you may want to have the engine
looked at and inspected at the same time. When I got my 70 2000 (now my
girlfriend's car) it ran fine, but when I had it tuned up, I found out it
needed a valve job and the throttle bodies on the carbs were shot. Figure
you will need to have the engine gone through and it will cost some dough.

A new jack and lugwrench may be found from other resources, but I don't know
of anyone who uses the jack holes and jack supplied with the cars.

Your speedo issue is either a bad cable or bad speedo gear. Not a difficult
part to obtain and not overly hard to replace. Figure you would do it when
you get the car tuned.

If you get the canvas top with a zip out rear window (highly recommended)
figure to spend around 400.00 for it. Plus, you will need to get your top
frame redone (around 100.00). I have one of these on my 67.5 2000 and cannot
speak highly enough of it. It's a great top and well worth the money.

Battery and boot are optional, especially if the battery is OK.

One other thing. If the car has not been registered since 1990, it has
fallen out of the system. This means you will owe no penalties on back
registrations. You will have to fill out a statement of facts at the DMV and
also have either the DMV or a peace officer do a vehicle inpsection and sign
off that the car is road worthy.

I think that for around 3000.00 for a rust free, straight car with good
paint and interior that needs such minor work you should buy it before I do.
It sounds like a good deal to me.

Good luck!

Andrew Murphy
67.5 2000 Solex