red line oil stuff

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: red line oil stuff
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:24:16 -0700
first try net searching for "red line oils" and I think it'll steer ya
right. (it's kinda long but helpful)
it really quotes MTL and MT90 as equivalent, 'cept one is like 70 weight and
one is 90 weight viscosity.
when I went to buy some, they only had 75-90, so I thought it was right and
bought it.  It specifically tells you not to use 75-90 in older trannies, as
their is an aditive that does not do well with synchro material . (i'll put
that in the diff, instead)
Synthetic oils have more consistency across the temperature range, so better
shifting when cold.  Also, they do not break down so easily, so they last
much longer.
I've heard that some have had problems with it draining out, because the
visc. is lower than the stock (140W), but if your seals are bad you're gonna
loose it when it warms up anyway, I suspect.  (unless you only have the
leaks when it's cold, which is possible I guess)

Fergus
69 2000 (still double-clutching cause I haven't had time to put the stuff
in....)