got the roadster running again (not on the road though)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: got the roadster running again (not on the road though)
From: "Mitch Planck" <mitch@ias.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:52:56 -0400
I guess I have to think about giving up my membership in the NOROC. ;<)

I got the new needles from Keith the other day (Thanks! I've sent you the
check for them.) and was excited to install them. I haven't been able to get
my beast running recently since I started having timing problems. I put the
new needles in and tried starting my car. I played around with the timing a
little but it was trying to start before I even touched the distributor.
After fiddling with that a bit it did start. It was running very roughly and
backfiring out the exhaust on heavy throttle with lots of black exhaust -
the timing was still a bit off and the new needles caused the mixture to be
way to rich. I let it warm up and started adjusting the carbs. After leaning
out the fuel mixture it was a little better, but the idle was still rough. I
tried checking the timing with the timing light but the idle was so uneven
that the advance kept changing. I could tell that it's around where I want
it to be, so that's good enough for now. It starts right up and shuts down
properly too, so that's an indication that the timing is pretty close.

In trying to find out why the idle is so rough, I checked to see if all the
cylinders were firing - it kind of sounded like one was missing. Sure
enough, #2 was missing occassionally. It would firing a few times, then miss
a few times. I checked the cables and plug and the cables for #2 wasn't
pushed in as far as it could go on the distributor. That helped a bit but
it's still not completely fixed. I'll didn't have a chance to go any
further, but I think I'll replaced the plugs, check the distributor gap,
finally get the Unisyn to balance the carbs (they're off again with the new
needles in) and see how that works.

I'd like to take her out on another ride before I have to wedge it into the
back of the garage so I can fit both our other cars in for winter weather
protection.

Mitch Planck
'69 1600

Systems Engineer
mitch@ias.net

IAS.NET - Internet Applications and Solutions, Inc.
"Effective Internet Solutions Since 1995"

1145 Broadway
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Phone: 1-800-IASNET 1 (427-6381)
FAX: (734) 668-7274