Re: Minilite wheels

To: Andrew Murphy <solex67@hotmail.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Minilite wheels
From: Chris Robertson <roadsterdoc@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 19:56:09 -0700 (PDT)
Andrew,

I have a set of 14x7 minilites.  They fit fine,
backspacing is perfect.  There is one issue to
consider.  I think these were for a Z because the 7/16
roadster lug nuts were smaller than the diameter of
the bolt holes in the wheels.  For a while I centered
the wheels the best I could and tightened them down
smartly.  Then one rainy day, when coming home from a
TDROC meet, the front right wheel flew off.  After
crapping my pants I made a controlled slide to the
shoulder and went whel hunting.  Found the wheel and
no damage done to the roadster fortunately.  Had to
buy new underwear, though.  ;-)

The next week I had an above average machine shop
fabricate and install inserts (basically metal
sleeves, scored to keep them fixed in the wheels).
The lugnuts fit perfectly and I have had no lost
wheels since.  It cost $80 for the machine work 6
years ago.

Other than that, the wheels have been outstanding.
Two required straightening when I bought them 7 years
ago, and I had all 4 refinished at that time.  They
still look new today.  I get comments about them
almost everytime I drive the roadster.  There is no
better looking wheel on the roadster as far as I'm
concerned.  If you don't buy them I want them!

Good luck,
Chris
2 '69 2000s
'96 Miata M