Re: Seat Cover Material

To: bob_wilson@agilent.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat Cover Material
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 20:42:31 EDT
In a message dated 10/2/00 8:19:31 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
bob_wilson@agilent.com writes:

> Any comments on what is the best material for covering Roadster seats?  I am
>  comparing vinyl, cloth and leather?  Any experience out there?

Things to consider: how much uncovered sun will it get, how much you drive,
and $$ to spend & time for upkeep.

I'm w/Mike on cloth for comfort - BUT- consider how long your car sits out in
the sun uncovered. I have some wonderful seat-belt shaped black stripes where
I let the new cloth seat cover sit out for just ONE afternoon. (all faded
around them) I'd hate to see that happen to a complete cloth recover. If ya
keep it in the garage, & covered w/your butt most of the time - then that's
OK. Also - can be a pain to clean when the neighbor's cats take up residence
(or when the unsuspecting passenger gets motion sickness from a "spirited"
ride!)

Leather: Awsome to sit on, BUT, mondo $$, and sun will deteriorate fast too ,
unless you really keep up on the Lexol/Hide Food. (if you're in the wet areas
it gets "mushy & crumbly" when exposed)

 Vinyl: icky, sticky, BUT prolly the most cost effective & durable of the
three. 'specially out in the elements. You can always cover w/ cheepie cloth
covers for comfort & toss when they are worn. Vinyl is much easier to keep
clean too. I also suspect that a set from one of our vendors is prolly a bit
less $$ then a custom upolstery job too.

.02

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311