Good News? (was Bad News) need opinions and parts

To: "311" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Good News? (was Bad News) need opinions and parts
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 08:19:49 -0700
Hi all!

Last week, my '69 U20 died at 6000RPM; for all I knew, it put a
rod out the block; very rough, lots of underhood engine noise,
backfiring/pinging, etc.

Pulled the valve cover off this weekend (two nuts, big job;-) -
and found the #3 exhaust valve spring was broken!  The inner
spring, locks/keeper were all still in place.  The rocker lodged
itself betwixt the #3 intake and exhaust valves.  The lash pad
wound up in the rear oil drainback hole.  The cam lobe got a
 couple of small gouges (presumably from the dismounting rocker).
But these are on the base circle, not the lobe or ramps.

Checked compression - 180-155-180-180.  The low hole, #2, does
not have any visible problems, and (AIR) there's always been one
that's a bit lower than the others.  *AND* I haven't adjusted
the valves recently.... so needless to say, the low compression
doesn't strike me as a problem.

Questions aplenty-
-does it seem that the one weak valve spring could be the cause
  of my car's reluctance to rev past 6,000?
-and/or does the failure of one spring suggest the others are
  worn out as well?
-does anyone have ONE (1) outer valve spring I can beg/borrow/
  steal?  At the very least, I'd like to get it started up to
  be sure nothing else is trashed.
-is the cam damage anything to be concerned about?  Should I just
  smooth out the scratches and call it good?

Thanks a ton!

       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
   _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28/E88/SU, 5sp, all poly - Z Beast
  `-(#)------(#)-<  69 2000, Lousy rackin' frackin' U20 - Broken