Re: 2000 Exhaust (was 2.5" flowmaster on U20?)

To: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 2000 Exhaust (was 2.5" flowmaster on U20?)
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:06:57 -0700
> While I can't add to the discussion on the tube diameters, I have a
> question.  Does anyone have the exhaust tip from a late roadster laying
> around that they could measure?  What I want to know is the length of the
> "bugle", the diameter at the resonator and the diameter at the end of the
> tip.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sid

Hiya Sid, list;

it turns out that the 'free' Flowmaster I thought was in inventory has gone
on to parts unknown; so anyone waiting to hear about the installation, you
gonna hafta keep waiting;-)

I'll put off the new exhaust for the time being.  I would still like to hear
recommendations about 2" versus 2.25"; as well as muffler placement under
the floor versus behind the axle.  Personal experience is that moving the
muffler forward (IOW, a longer tailpipe) reduces noise notably, but I don't
know about performance differences.  Also, looking at the U20 from a spec's
standpoint, it seems like 2.25" would be a better choice than 2".

I too would be interested in knowing the dimensions of the factory 2L tip,
so a reasonably similar replacement can be fitted.  To add to Sid's request -
a measurement of how far the tip should stick out the back would be helpful.

Thanks gang!

Kyle
'69 2000, noisy as heck!