Re: Sheet metal

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sheet metal
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:47:56 -0500
Gary,

Typically sheet metal is ordered by standard thickness
in decimals of an inch these days, so the following should
apply to sheet metal (not wire thickness is different, as
is the "old" gauge system. Yep, the system has changed
over the years).

24 gauge  =  0.0239
22 gauge  =  0.0299
20 gauge  =  0.0359
18 gauge  =  0.0478
16 gauge  =  0.0598
14 gauge  =  0.0747
12 gauge  =  0.1046

Hope this helps out.

You can also buy a "sheet metal gauge" which is a circular device
with various slots to measure the thinkness of the metal.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX