Re: SR20 conversion

To: DemonTSi@aol.com
Subject: Re: SR20 conversion
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 20:50:04 -0700

DemonTSi@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 08/09/2000 5:46:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> bitterrootprop@nidlink.com writes:
>
> > I was asked if the SR20 would work on a rear drive car. Joe
> >  Klokkevold makes a bell housing mod to fit a L series transmission
> >  to a front wheel drive SR20DE. Here are a few shots of a 510 he is
> >  working on.
> >
> >  http://www.nidlink.com/~bitterrootprop/joe9.jpg
> >  http://www.nidlink.com/~bitterrootprop/joe4.jpg
>
> The SR20 seen in those pics is actually a RWD model...
> The problem of running a FWD or AWD SR20 in a RWD application is that the
> distributor will basically be sitting inside the firewall, and the throttle
> body inlet on the intake plenum will also be facing the firewall.

These two items have been addressed by Joe. He is the importer of the
Australian base Wolf EMS (not Jim Wolfe). None of his newer cars
use a distributor. The US dollar is very favorable to the Australian dollar
right now. The adjust ability of the Wolf System is the best I have seen on the
market so far. It has a hand held controller that attaches in the drivers
compartment and can the parameters can be changed on the fly. I watched
Dave adjust his cars timing while he was standing next to the car.

> Once you've
> tackled both those issues (not to mention fabbing an adapter plate to mate it
> to a RWD tranny), you will have spent more $$ than the cost of a new
> low-mileage RWD engine/tranny to begin with. And you will end up with an SR20
> that isn't as "built" as its RWD counterpart. The FWD block isn't as buffed
> as the RWD DE and DETs; the FWD SR20 flywheel will easily fit INSIDE my RWD
> SR20 unit! BTW, one can get a RWD SR20DE with tranny, and ECU for ~1000-1200
> complete...usually with under 35K miles too.

For what I understand getting replacement parts for the Japanese built
SR20 is expensive. I have no idea how much parts are for the transmission.
He uses the dime a dozen L series transmissions.

Another thing I have been told by people who have imported the SR20DET's
from Japan are they have been driven hard and some of them need expensive
rebuilds. These are only things I have heard , since I have not purchased one
myself. I also have heard that  low mileage Japanese engine isn't correct
either. I was told that the cars are taken off the road because the cost of
registering a older car is extremely high not that they have to many miles.
Please correct me if I am wrong on this. I am not trying to sell anything that
Joe
makes. I was just showing you some of his handiwork. He is a true Datsun
lover. He would go out of his way to help anyone one with a problem.

> >  He also showed me a trick on how to mount Mazda aluminum four
> >  piston calipers on to a Roadster.
>
> Are these the 4 pot units found on the second gen RX7s? What rotor was he
> using? I think I could put together and sell a "kit" to bolt on a set of Z32
> aluminum 4 pots (larger pistons and pads than the mazdas with lighter
> weight..and it says nissan :) with 2 piece rotors and hats for about.... 800
> bucks. Actually, one could put together their own for ~500 if they knew where
> to look.

These are calipers he took off his race car it is a twin turboed , three rotor
second generation RX7. The front brakes on his Roadster uses the standard
Roadster rotors and cost him about $5.00 in materials and a little time. He
isn't
selling them he was just showing me what he has done.

Sorry if anyone felt like I was misleading with my post.
Mike
Nowroc