car nut in Japan (OT)

To: roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: car nut in Japan (OT)
From: shifty <shifty@best.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:03:38 -0800
Hi folks, I'm back and de-jetlagged from Japan. A great trip, but not too
much to see for those of us who love old Japanese cars. I did find a 240 Z
parked on the grounds of a Buddhist temple in Kyoto.

I visited the Toyota Automotive Museum outside of Nagoya (very hard to get
to if you don't read kanji - unlike most of Japan, nothing there is marked
in English, or even in katakana or hiragana which I can read - so I had to
bother a lot of people with my terrible Japanese.)

The museum is great and well worth all of the effort. The bottom floor is
full of "foreign" cars from 1900 - 1940, including a Jaguar SS 100, a
Delage, a Dusenberg, Cord, Bugatti, etc.

The second floor was of more interest to me - a huge late 30's Nissan
touring car, a tiny 30's Datsun tourer, a Flying Feather (Mr. K helped
design it), a Fugicabin, Suzuki Suzulight, a Mazda Carol, Subaru 360, many
Toyota Publicas, several Bluebirds, a nice original Silvia, a Prince
Skyline, a Mazda Cosmo and sitting next to a red Honda 600 convertible, a
beautiful sora blue '63 1500 Fairlady. It's a little weird to see one in a
museum (guess that makes my garage a museum as well! Not to mention all of
yours ;^)

I took a lot of pictures and will post them soon.

Leigh Brooks
San Francisco