U20 head questions

To: "311" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U20 head questions
From: "Kyle Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:06:54 -0700
Hi all -

Finally got around to removing the U20 head. (Takin' it slow;-)

The headgasket had been seeping a bit, so I thought I'd replace
it while the engine was out.  I checked it with a straightedge,
and holey smokes, it's flat.  Or at least it seems flat within
a thousandth, which I figure is just fine, right?

But I saw something goofy - the valve seats appear to have been,
umm, "gripped" into the head, by punching the head right next to
them.  So there's these three little divots around each valve
seat.  What's the story here?  Some novel way to keep the seats
in or what?  Pretty freaky stuff.  Something like:

    .
   (O)
   ' '
Then there's the headbolt washers.  Most of them were what I
assume are the right part - a fairly thick washer with a smaller
radius on one side to clear the cam towers.  One of the bolts
had a flatwasher that had been ground for clearance, another had
TWO flatwashers.  Do our vendors have these washers?

Incidentally, on the subject of washers, I've noted that many of
the bolts on my engine (and elsewhere, perhaps) have TWO washers
stacked on top of each other.  PO's, huh?

TIA for any help...
       ____  Kyle Hagemann, Born-Again Grease Monkey From Beyond
   _.;(____\____    72 240Z, L28/E88/SU, 5sp, all poly - Z Beast
  `-(#)------(#)-<  69 2000, engine/trans out, making a big mess