Re: (Bizarre)Problem Solved!!

To: Jim Tyler <toplessdatsun@ga.prestige.net>
Subject: Re: (Bizarre)Problem Solved!!
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 21:50:30 -1000
Jim:

> Datsun Roadster Crabs?  Must be unique to Hawaii! Cool.
>
> Or is that when a roadster junkie gets p.o'ed?

Okay, smart a**!  My spell checker kept trying to change "carb" to "crab".
That one slipped through.

> A fouled/bad spark plug can be a bugger, since you don't immediately
> expect it.  Glad it is happy now.

I'm *really* fearsome of stating it--but I can't recall it running as well
as it is now--even better than this last time I was indiscreet enough to
make a similar statement.  A side benefit of the "troubleshooting" of the
problem is that somehow the mixture has now gotten leaned enough to #'s 3 &
4, that the plug insulators for them now have a grey-tan color rather than
black, all four now about the same.

Guess the WD-40 on the nozzle adjusting nuts and cranking them back and
forth many times (starting at 2 turns down, in an attempt to tune them as
prescribed)), may have resulted in the nozzles getting further up, when I
eventually ended with them  again "all the way up" (if that makes any
sense).

Never encountered a plug problem like that before.  I've heard of, but to my
knowledge, haven't experienced "fouled plugs".  What could have happened to
that nearly new NGK plug?  Is it dead, or can it be returned to use after
cleaning?  It did have a "wet" appearance from being in a cylinder that
wasn't firing.

Guess I'm a slow learner, but after 32 years of roadster ownership, there
always seems to be something new for me to experience/learn!

Thanks,

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona