Re: New Cool Tool

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Cool Tool
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 00 15:46:24 CST
Mike,

Neat with the vacuum pump.

On other thing to try is to PRESSURIZE the reservoir.
I know this sounds odd, but you can do this two ways:

1: some adapter to fit over the top of the master cylinder.
   Apply pressure to the master cylinder.

   Crack open the bleeder, fluid comes out.

2: reverse flow the system. Common on aircraft, is to pressurize
   the bleeder. Fluid comes up and overflows out the master cylinder.

Either way what you are doing is working with a pressurized system.

I have used the mighty vac with DISC brakes just fine. With the
wheel cylinders, the vacuum is not normal and will draw air past
the wheel cylinder piston seals. They work fine with a pressure
differential, having higher pressure on the brake system to flare
the seal out. With a vacuum, I am not as successful on bleeding the
brakes.

OTHER TRICKS:

Flip a small can of brake fluid up, and into the master cylinder.
It will sit there, upside down, only refilling the reservoir when
the reservoir level drops below the lip of the inverted can of
brake fluid. Of course if the can falls over, big mess!

NEXT TRICK:

Use a pressure jar, full of brake fluid. Low tube (into the fluid)
is tied to a special master clinder cap to fit the reservoir. As you
pressurize the car, excess fluid flows up into the master cylinder.
You crack open the bleeder to release fluid.  I have seen commercial
bleeding systems like this. Nice trick, and quick.

Use caution with pressure, or vacuum. You should only need 10 psi
to move fluid through the system. With the vacuum bleeder, I would
wrap the bleeders with teflon tape around the threaded portion to
prevnt air leaks. That is how I discovered the leaking rear wheel
cylinder, making it hard to bleed to rear brakes.

To hold the top of something to the reservoir... mentally picture
a flat disc about 1" diameter.  Threaded hole in the disc, for a
brass tubing fitting. Rubber inner tube between the top disc
and reservoir. Velcro strap to hold it in place... fun little
project.

Cheers,

Tom Walter

P.S. Wear safety goggles with the pressurized brake fluid!