Restoration Help

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Restoration Help
From: "Fred L. Cooover" <flc@CooverLaw.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 19:28:00 -0500
Hello!!

I'm beginning the planning stage of a ground-up restoration of my 67
1600.  It's an "east coast" car with considerable rust [front
fenders top & bottom, rocker panels, rear quarter panels-wheel flares
and bottom]  The door pillars are rusted out at the
bottom-doors sag and strike the rear pillars.  Does this sound familiar
to anyone??

I've owned this car for 26 years-I really need to restore it.  I did a
"Bondo" restoration 25 years ago and want to do it right this
time.

I have these questions:

1.    Are "new" front fenders, rocker panels and rear quarters
available? From whom?
2.    Are the rear quarter panels seamed under the side trim molding?
Can just the bottom portion be cut out and replaced?
3.    If I need a new chassis, how do I tell the difference between a
"low windshield" chassis  and a newer one?   Is there a
difference?  Are they interchangeable without modification?
4.    Are the door pillars available?  From whom?  How tough a job is it
to replace them?
5.    Are floor pans available?  From whom?
6.    Is it cost effective to restore a car in this shape or am I better
off finding a car in better shape? [this was my first car!!!]
7.  Is this kind of work something that a reasonably handy person can
complete with the right equipment or are we talking
about professional work? [I'm referring to the sheet metal work.
8.   Is it normal to be feeling both excited and nervous about a project
like this???!!!!

HELP!!!!

Chip Coover
Glenwood, Maryland