Re: European Roadster ...

To: "'DonaldL724@aol.com'" <DonaldL724@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: European Roadster ...
From: Pekka Tupamaki <pekka@relevantum.fi>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:20:21 +0200 (EET)
> From: "Michael A. Unger" <munger@vims.edu>
> Subject: Re: European Roadster??? - Whose car is this!!!
> >To test your Finnish/roadster knowledge, some keywords:
> >Nokia, Rapala, Amer Wilson, Hakkapeliitta,
> >Martti Ahtisaari, Mika Hakkinen, Hannu Mikkola,
> >Tommi Makinen, Teemu Selanne, Jari Kurri.
> >Question: which one is closely roadster related?
>
> Was it Mikkola that drove a 2 liter roadster in international rallies in
> the late 60's?

That's right. I think no one nowadays drives cabriolet/roadster
models in such rallyes? Who knows? Maybe MGBs were used in UK?

> ....and Rapala, I used to take my roadster on fishing trips in the late
> 70's and this was the lure of choice.

That's also correct. I could not think that a roadster could
be a popular means to carry Finnish made Rapala lures!!
I once had my roadster dispalyed in a car museum here in
Finland one mile away from the Rapala headquarters.

> Michael A. Unger

> From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
> Subject: Re: European Roadster??? - Whose car is this!!!
>
> Well, let's see... Nokia makes cell phones, Rapala makes fishing
> lures and such like, Amer Wilson I don't know anything about,
> Hakkapeliitta are studded snow tyres, Martti Ahtisaari
> was the tenth President of Finland, Mika Hakkinen is a
> Formula One race driver, Hannu Mikkola and Tommi Makinen are
> (were) rally drivers and  Teemu Selanne, Jari Kurri are
> hockey players. Mikkola drove a 2000 Roadster to a 9th
> place in the Monte Carlo Rally in 1968, so I guess it would be him!
>
> Gary McCormick

Can't believe how well you knew my word list. As you knew Teemu Selanne
is Finnish ice hockey player in NHL. When Teemu comes to Finland in the
summertime, he converts into a rally driver, but uses a special nickname
'Teukka Salama' because he don't won't that the NHL bosses know he has
such a dangerous hobby. During many summers Teemu had taken part in the
Finnish Rally World cup session known as the Rally of Thousands lakes.

Has anyone driven a roadster on the snow or ice with studded snow tyres?
Must be fun? I only drive my roadsters in the summer, but I think that
36 years ago in 1964 when the Finnish 14 roadsters were new, they must
have been on the road on winters also. Nowadays the roads are salted on
winters, which causes the cars rust problems if not carefully anti-rust
undercoated.

> From: RoadsteRob@aol.com
> Subject: Re: European Roadster??? - Whose car is this!!!
>
> Check out the 1968 and 1969 Monte Carlo pages on the Register's website.
> All Datsun drivers and navigators for both years were Finnish (although the
> 1969 drivers failed to Finnish!?).
>
> URL:-  http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/Monte.htm

> PS. I carry a Nokia phone with me in my 2000 so is that the Roadster link?

I think that Mikkola + Roadster is enough. But on this above
mentioned great web site I learned that the was also two Finnish
Roadster Nissan Works teams, Kossila's and Lusenius' teams. Mikkola was
and still is most famous of these. Maybe Finns were selected because
Finland was the first country in Europe to import Datsuns and the
Finns were known good rally drivers already on those days.

Pekka,
Finland