Fun in the Sun (Sort of) at CDM

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fun in the Sun (Sort of) at CDM
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:11:16 -0800
Hello all,

I just got back from Les's impromptu gathering of people at CDM. For giving
such short notice, there were quite a lot of people there. The main reason
was that a Japanese magazine (old timers) was there to do a story on older
Datsuns. Mostly 510s (and there were a lot of them there) but quite a few
familiar roadsters were there and I got to put a face to some people I have
only known on line. I took quite a few pics which I will post to the
SoCalROC web site soon. It was a nice day, although it was kind of cloudy. I
am REALLY hoping that the weather stays nice for next weekends's SoCalROC
meet!

There were some REALLY nice roadsters there. Barrie Strachan's 66 2000
conversion was there and I think it is the most beautiful roadster I have
ever seen. But my favorite roadster there was Joe Roach's 65 1500. A nicer
one you will not see. Right down to those really cool 13 inch wheels with
the hubcaps that cover the whole wheel.

I got to meet Victor ("I'm just looking for some shiny valve cover bolts")
Laury, as well as Phil Erickson- both SoCalROC members. It was great to see
everyone and I look forward to seeing everyone at the meet on the 6th!

I felt bad for Joe Roach as he was there to drop off his car to get a 5
speed tranny put in, but Les's shop was too full for it. It is standing room
only in there! If I ever hit the lottery, I am going to invest in getting
Les a bigger shop. I can see he's got the demand for it. My own car was in
the lift bay under a car on the lift.

Speaking of which, I took SRL311-00489 out for a spin on the freeway and
opened it up for the first time. Got to 95 before I backed off. The throttle
still had a long way to go... I am getting the tranny rebuilt this week and
then I pick it up just in time for the meet. I hope Joe's car takes the
place of mine to get his tranny done. Joe is a nice guy.

So check out the SocalROC site soon for pics and I will see you on February
6th!

Andrew Murphy
67.5 2000 Solex
SoCalROC www.netcom.com/~andr/socalroc.htm