RE: motor oils part 2 - a cheapskates take

To: list roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: motor oils part 2 - a cheapskates take
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:09:03 -0800 (PST)
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 "Hall, Phillip" wrote:
>A good name brand oil will last 3000 miles without
>too much break down.  This is for mineral grade oils

>Guys here at work run synthetics in motors that have
>140,000 to 170,000 miles  on them without any more
oil
>consumption them normal.

Hi Phil,

  Thanks for your research and info on oils.
Especially coming from a 'reliable' source (fergit
NASA, you're a roadster owner!). Mobile 1 has come
highly recommended to me via motorcycle circles as
well (at least for Honda Goldwing's (water cooled,
tranny uses engine oil)).

  HOWEVER. Out here, Mobile 1 costs about 4x as much
as dino-oil.
  I had an '80 510 (not a _real_ 510. it was a too
well smogged 95 hp 2L) that I changed every 3k miles
with Valvoline 10w30, and I got 213k miles out of it
(and still running about 2500 miles per quart) before
the valve seals finally went.
  SEEMS like it comes down to a choice between
religiously changing every 3k miles, or paying a
little extra (in the long haul) to give you 7k more
miles to procrastinate before getting around to
changing again. YMMV.

  So, what's your take on oxy fuels? Are we killing
our engines with that cr*p? Former prez Bush porked
the farmers by mandating ethanol in the midwest.. I
wouldn't care about MTBE, but alcohol? in the winter?

dan.