Re: U20 chain - I"M SUSPICIOUS!!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: U20 chain - I"M SUSPICIOUS!!!
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:07:54 EST
In a message dated 01/25/2000 23:24:59 GMT, sochoux@yahoo.com writes:

> I found subsitute
>  parts on the web at http://www.carparts.com
>  They list both chains, cam sproket, crank sproket and
>  upper tensioner. All for under $100 !

Dammit !!! I wish I was behind the parts counter again to help w/confirming
##'s !!!

Uh,  please be VERY careful and get a mfg part# check from somone who
actually has the catalogs. If you look at carparts.com engine stuff page,
they are also listing belts for the 69 2000 with such options as power
steering and air conditioning. There's even an auto trans pan gasket listed
for that car !!!!! Don't know about YOU, but that scares the crud outta me.

I've seen many listings for my 1600 that were NOT correct on various parts
search sites - they said it was for the R-16, but parts listed were actually
L-16. Not to mention the hassle of giving up your credit card ## only to get
a "oops, that stuff is No Longer Available" email the next week.

Call up Nissan, or I'm sure someone has OEM part #'s in a PDF around here
somewhere - then see where you get with this. Better off dealing with someone
who knows his Roadster from a hole in the ground.

As far as brand names go...(general rule here) mosta the old import stuff
found in the manufacturers you listed all usually come outta the same place
in the orient - straight from the nissan/toyota/mazda or whatever make
dealer, or whoever they contracted out for their "support". I  can't tell you
how many OE parts I've seen reboxed over the years.

Good Luck on your search -
Skeptically Yours,
Laurie :-)
70 SPL311