Engine oil

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine oil
From: "Rob Robinson" <FastrTime@t-three.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 23:11:12 -0500
I've used Mobil1 15w50 in my 2000 since the last overhaul...about 5000
miles. Changed it every 500 or so. Yeah, seems like overkill, but a
substantial portion of the run time is spent at full throttle/high rpm, or
else sitting in my back yard between autocrosses. I just change it twice a
year.

Yes, I do mean "since overhaul", including break in. The idea that synthetic
oil is "too slick" to seat rings/bearings etc is not entirely
correct.Synthetic oil is almost certainly a "slicker" lubricant, and it
certainly flows better, thus making leaks much more pronounced. I've heard
many engine builders swear that mineral oil must be used during break
in...but the funny thing is, many manufacturers deliver new cars with
synthetic oil installed at the factory. GM, Lotus, and Nissan to name a few.
(I was told this by a Mobil1 rep who spoke to our local SCCA chapter a few
years ago, and verified it later in conversations with dealers)

Non-Roadster content below....

I use Mobil1 10w30 at 3k intervals on my '90 Maxima, which is the
spousemobile/tow vehicle for the roadster or a 17ft boat (140 I/O). The
Maxima has about 170k now with zero problems other than regular maintenance
items, and still gets 30mpg highway and 23mpg towing! My daily driver (VW
Rabbit diesel) has always had Shell Rotella 15w40 at 3k intervals, and after
about 290k with no engine related problems, it still gets better than 50mpg
highway. BTW, I tried Mobil1 once in the VW at about 200k, but it used over
a quart in 500 miles compared with about  a pint in 3k with Rotella.
Needless to say, I switched back.

Rob Robinson
CSP 67 2000
Roanoke, VA