Re: Battery relocated to trunk

To: MMccaf8697@aol.com
Subject: Re: Battery relocated to trunk
From: Mark van der Hoek <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 17:20:04 +0000
Mark, if you do decide to go ahead with a ground wire to the starter
bolt mount, use the SAME gauge wire as the positive wire, and don't
ground in the present location.  In other words, don't ADD another
ground path, REPLACE it.  Multiple ground paths can cause some weird
problems.  Could the present setup have caused (or contributed to) the
alt failure?  Yes it COULD have.  No way to know if it DID for sure.
If 'twere mine, I'd go ahead with the ground wire replacement, or move
the battery back up front.  No way I'd leave it like it is.

If you have a good voltmeter with some long test leads, check the
voltage between the alt output and the batt + terminal.  Also check
the voltage between the batt - and the starter mount bolt.  That will
give you some idea of how much reistance there is in this setup.
That's how much it's costing your alt in terms of extra work is has to
do.

Mark van der Hoek
Houston