A/C fitted to a roadster

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: A/C fitted to a roadster
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 99 14:51:35 CDT
What running an A/C unit in a roadster, are you sane? <grin>

Here is Texas there are some days in August and September where
the roadster just is not that fun on 100 degree day with high
humidity. Just feel like a baked lobster after a long drive.
So you do see A/C's fitted in a few cars.

I would spend some time PLANNING on the installation. Never
hurts to actually cut up some cardboard boxes the size of
the components. Can you really live with little passenger
leg room? Tape a box in place, while you climb in and out of
the car. Might give you an idea of what is practical in size
of dimensions of a unit. Ditto under the hood.

You're much better off going with all NEW components. R134a
system custom fitted. Some shops special in custom/street
rods and would be best to deal with.

Four major items:
1. Compressor & mounting
2. Condenser Mounting (in front of the radiator)
3. Evaporator & blower fan
4. Electric System Upgrade

Compressor: Modern rotary style (much better efficiency
than the older piston type). I would really recommend at
mounting the compressor so it would run off the water
pump//front pulley. The '68 - '70 roadster fitted with
air inject pumps have a double pulley on the water pump.
Second belt could be used to run a larger alternator.
Once again, custom mounts would be need to get everything
to line up correctly.

Oe installation had the a/c compressor running off the
water pump. I noticed with a loose alternator/water pump/
crankshaft pulley belt; every time the a/c compressor
started it would stall the water pump pulley. Pay close
attention to little details like that.

Condenser Mounting: Should be room in front of the radiator.
Remember the radiator will have less efficiency. A modern
Aluminum unit is more efficient, and probably the best
solution. Not aware of one that is a "drop in fit".

Evaporator & Blower: Not al ot of room under a roadster
dash, unlike a '57 Chevy. Still you can get creative
as most "custom units" have a water heater/ac evaporator/
blower in a nice small housing. You do not need that large
of a unit for a roadster as there is not much "green house"
heating with the smaller windows.

One fellow here in Texas had his ac evaporator fitted in
the trunk! With the top down on nice cool days, you are
not ever aware of the unit. Only concern is I get a lot
of the cooling effect by having that dry air hitting my
face and body. Not sure how effect the rear mounting is,
but is does cool the car down with the top up.

Electrical System. You'll need at least a 45 Amp alternator
to be fitted. Compressor clutch may consume 10 Amps, and
another 8 amps for the blower fan. OEM 35 Amp item will
not be able to handle the load. In Texas I'll run the
A/C during the winter to help reduce the interior moisture.
Heat On, A/C on, wipers and lights, etc. Pretty hefty
electrical load.

I looked into having an a/c fitted to a 510 a few years
back. Performing quite a bit of the labor for custom brackets,
fittings, and fitting the unit... I came up with a cost
of around $1200 (for the new compressor/custom evap and
purging and filling the system). Not bad.  Do not assume
anything if the shop will do the full installation. They
will have to cut some sheet metal. Time is money, and the
roadster dash is difficult to work under. I wound not
be surprised is a custom installation ran $2000 for everything.

Hope this of help, very least give you some ideas on the
project. I might just fit and a/c into the '68 2000 yet!

Cheers,

Tom