Loosing Wheels

To: "'Datsun Roadsters'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Loosing Wheels
From: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:15:49 -0700
Losing a wheel will give you "religion".  After racing a 2L in D production
for 3 years, we raced a 1200 coupe on a dirt oval for a few years. One night
the right front wheel developed a 360 degree crack at the bolt circle.  The
last time I saw it, it was bounding towards the pits.  Thank God it didn't
hit some one or some thing.  It happened on the last half lap and I
continued to the finish line and it only cost me one position.

Another night the left front top shock nut assembly broke.  As you may know,
on a McPherson strut, that is the only thing that holds the top end of the
suspension in the car.  As the suspension folded under, the wheel ended up
under the driver's seat.  The increase in the drag coefficient over came the
1200's horsepower depositing me in the middle of the track on the front
straight.  No one hit me and the red flag saved a lot of potential damage.

Now that's racing.

Dick Ryan  ex. 24022
(650)312-4022
Risk Management Dept. #857